Accessibility: Skip to content


Results

We found 122 matching items.
Contributors Société historique de Nipissing Ouest   Item type(s) Photographs  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Bureau du moulin Weyerhaeuser, Sturgeon Falls / Weyerhaeuser Mill Office, Sturgeon Falls
    Bureau du moulin Weyerhaeuser, Sturgeon Falls / Weyerhaeuser Mill Office, Sturgeon Falls
    Image       Photo du bureau dans le moulin Weyerhaeuser à Sturgeon Falls avant sa démoliton en 2004. / Photograph of the Weyerhaeuser mill office in Sturgeon Falls before its demolition in 2004.
    Image     Photo du bureau dans le moulin Weyerhaeuser à Sturgeon Falls avant sa démoliton en 2004. / Photograph of the Weyerhaeuser mill office in Sturgeon Falls before its demolition in 2004.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Four-storey tall digester
    Four-storey tall digester
    Image       This image only shows part of a four-storey digester that cooked the pulp when the mill used wood. In the early days,the pulp was further treated before headin to the paper machines where it produced corrugating paper.
    Image     This image only shows part of a four-storey digester that cooked the pulp when the mill used wood. In the early days,the pulp was further treated before headin to the ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • The Kipling Baptist Church, Hugel Township
    The Kipling Baptist Church, Hugel Township
    Imagemystery       The Kipling Baptist Church in Hugel Township. The Kipling Church is quite active. Kipling, is north of the village of Verner.
    Imagemystery     The Kipling Baptist Church in Hugel Township. The Kipling Church is quite active. Kipling, is north of the village of Verner.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Barrage hydro-électrique sur la rivière Sturgeon / Power Dams on the Sturgeon River
    Barrage hydro-électrique sur la rivière Sturgeon / Power Dams on the Sturgeon River
    Image       The spill dams on the Sturgeon River were built in 1923-24 with a continuous pour of 5,399 cubic yards of concrete in 10 hour shifts. The municipality of West Nipissing bought the hydro dams when Weyerhaeuser closed down its mill in the early 2000s.
    Image     The spill dams on the Sturgeon River were built in 1923-24 with a continuous pour of 5,399 cubic yards of concrete in 10 hour shifts. The municipality of West Nipissing ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Weyerhaeuser water tower removal, Sturgeon Falls
    Weyerhaeuser water tower removal, Sturgeon Falls
    Image       The Weyerhaeuser mill, located on Cache Bay Road in Sturgeon Falls, had its own water tower to generate water pressure for fire protection purposes. This water tower, along with the entire mill, were removed in 2004
    Image     The Weyerhaeuser mill, located on Cache Bay Road in Sturgeon Falls, had its own water tower to generate water pressure for fire protection purposes. This water tower, along with the ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill.
    The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill.
    Image       The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill was the biggest in 300 years.
    Image     The 1979 Sturgeon River flood at the Abitibi mill was the biggest in 300 years.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Truck Dumping Wood Chips in the MacMillan Bloedel yard, Sturgeon Falls
    Truck Dumping Wood Chips in the MacMillan Bloedel yard, Sturgeon Falls
    Imagemystery       An 18-wheel wood chip truck dumps its load in the wood yard of the MacMillan Bloedel in Sturgeon Falls. The mill capacity in 1999 was 250 tons of corrugating medium a day. At the same time as the company installed the truck dumper, approximately 150,000 square feet of yard was ...
    Imagemystery     An 18-wheel wood chip truck dumps its load in the wood yard of the MacMillan Bloedel in Sturgeon Falls. The mill capacity in 1999 was 250 tons of corrugating medium ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Aerial view of the Abitibi mill
    Aerial view of the Abitibi mill
    Image       The Abitibi mill, closed during the 1930s and only reopened in 1946. The numbered sections of the yard identifies the different parts of the mill.
    Image     The Abitibi mill, closed during the 1930s and only reopened in 1946. The numbered sections of the yard identifies the different parts of the mill.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • The Smith offices and residence in Field
    The Smith offices and residence in Field
    Image       The Smith offices and residence in Field
    Image     The Smith offices and residence in Field
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Construction du Screamer, John B. Smith Lumber, Callander  / Construction of the Screamer, John B. Smith Lumber company, Callander
    Construction du Screamer, John B. Smith Lumber, Callander / Construction of the Screamer, John B. Smith Lumber company, Callander
    Image       Le Screamer, est construit en 1922 par John B. Smith Lumber à Callander ON. / Photo of the building of the Screamer by the John B. Smith Lumber company in Callander, ON in 1922. The tugboat was powered by a 170 Horsepower steam engine. It could pull up to 10,000 ...
    Image     Le Screamer, est construit en 1922 par John B. Smith Lumber à Callander ON. / Photo of the building of the Screamer by the John B. Smith Lumber company in ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Locomotive à vapeur de John B. Smith / J.B. Smith Steam Locomotive
    Locomotive à vapeur de John B. Smith / J.B. Smith Steam Locomotive
    Image       N’ayant pas sa propre scierie, elle fait débiter son bois par des scieries locales, notamment John B. Smith & Sons à Callander. Durant l’exploitation de ses réserves sur la rivière Temagami, elle fait débiter son bois à la scierie de Field, et ce durait plusieurs années. Pour y arriver il ...
    Image     N’ayant pas sa propre scierie, elle fait débiter son bois par des scieries locales, notamment John B. Smith & Sons à Callander. Durant l’exploitation de ses réserves sur la rivière ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Scierie Joseph Vézina, Field / Joseph Vezina Mill, Field
    Scierie Joseph Vézina, Field / Joseph Vezina Mill, Field
    Image       La Scierie Vézina etait située sur la rue Desjardins, environ 300 m en amont du pont actuel. / The first Vezina mill was built about 300 metres from today's bridge crossing the Sturgeon River.
    Image     La Scierie Vézina etait située sur la rue Desjardins, environ 300 m en amont du pont actuel. / The first Vezina mill was built about 300 metres from today's bridge ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Usine de rabotage de Field Lumber / Field Lumber planing mill
    Usine de rabotage de Field Lumber / Field Lumber planing mill
    Image       L’usine de rabotage Une usine de rabotage (planing mill) est construite en 1918 environ, près de la voie ferrée du Canadian Northern Railway, à quelque 200 mètres au nord de la rivière Pike. Dans la bâtisse mesurant 60 par 72 pieds, il y a une raboteuse, une scie à ruban ...
    Image     L’usine de rabotage Une usine de rabotage (planing mill) est construite en 1918 environ, près de la voie ferrée du Canadian Northern Railway, à quelque 200 mètres au nord de ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Magasin Lamarre, Field / Lamarre Grocery Store, Field
    Magasin Lamarre, Field / Lamarre Grocery Store, Field
    Image       Magasin Lamarre devenu le magasin Field Lumber en 1914. Le magasin Field Lumber était géré par Ubald Lamarre. / The Lamarre Grocery Store became the Field Lumber Store in 1914. The Field Lumber store was managed by former owner Ubald Lamarre.
    Image     Magasin Lamarre devenu le magasin Field Lumber en 1914. Le magasin Field Lumber était géré par Ubald Lamarre. / The Lamarre Grocery Store became the Field Lumber Store in 1914. ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Drave sur le lac Silver / Log drive on Silver Lake
    Drave sur le lac Silver / Log drive on Silver Lake
    Image       Silver Lake had both a dam to control its water and wooden slides to send logs over very difficult routes full of rocks. Lumberjacks came to know when the water was at its highest before sending their sticks down river.Logs cut in Pardo Township were sent via Lake Silver until ...
    Image     Silver Lake had both a dam to control its water and wooden slides to send logs over very difficult routes full of rocks. Lumberjacks came to know when the water ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Construction du dortoir au chantier de la Scierie Field Lumber / Construction of the two-storey dining hall of the Field Lumber logging camp
    Construction du dortoir au chantier de la Scierie Field Lumber / Construction of the two-storey dining hall of the Field Lumber logging camp
    Image       Chantier Field Lumber Août-Sep. 1948
    Image     Chantier Field Lumber Août-Sep. 1948
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Scierie Vézina, Field / Vézina Saw Mill, Field
    Scierie Vézina, Field / Vézina Saw Mill, Field
    Image       Le réseau ferroviaire transcanadien vient donc assurer la survie de la communauté. Des arpenteurs s’affairent aussitôt à jalonner le tracé. Également en 1912, Joseph Vézina déménage sa scierie à l’embouchure de la rivière Pike sur le côté nord de la rivière Sturgeon. / About the same time that surveyors were ...
    Image     Le réseau ferroviaire transcanadien vient donc assurer la survie de la communauté. Des arpenteurs s’affairent aussitôt à jalonner le tracé. Également en 1912, Joseph Vézina déménage sa scierie à l’embouchure ...
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Gare Canadien Nationale et scierie Field Lumber /  Field Lumber mill and the Canadian National Railway station.
    Gare Canadien Nationale et scierie Field Lumber / Field Lumber mill and the Canadian National Railway station.
    Image       Gare Canadien Nationale, et scierie Field Lumber vus de la rue Jarbeau à Field / View of the Field Lumber mill and the Canadian National Railway station.
    Image     Gare Canadien Nationale, et scierie Field Lumber vus de la rue Jarbeau à Field / View of the Field Lumber mill and the Canadian National Railway station.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Cable and drum contraption
    Cable and drum contraption
    Image       Loaded log sleds were slowed down when going down hill by using this cable and drum contraption. It was used in hilly country because of injury to lumberjacks and horses.
    Image     Loaded log sleds were slowed down when going down hill by using this cable and drum contraption. It was used in hilly country because of injury to lumberjacks and horses.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
  • Démolition du moulin Weyerhaeuser, Sturgeon Falls / Demolition of the Weyerhaeuser Mill, Sturgeon Falls
    Démolition du moulin Weyerhaeuser, Sturgeon Falls / Demolition of the Weyerhaeuser Mill, Sturgeon Falls
    Image       Photo prise en 2004 durant la démoliton du moulin Weyerhaeuser à Sturgeon Falls. / Photograph taken in 2004 during the demolition of the Weyerhaeuser Mill in Sturgeon Falls.
    Image     Photo prise en 2004 durant la démoliton du moulin Weyerhaeuser à Sturgeon Falls. / Photograph taken in 2004 during the demolition of the Weyerhaeuser Mill in Sturgeon Falls.
    Société historique de Nipissing Ouest
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats:
Dublin Core | RSS | Atom | Mods | RDF
Share
Search within these results
Contributors
Media Types
Location
See more ...
See fewer ...
Sort A-Z...
Sort by hits...
Groups
Item Types
Years
19101910191119121913191419151916191719181919
19201920192119221923192419251926192719281929
19301930193119321933193419351936193719381939
19401940194119421943194419451946194719481949
19501950195119521953195419551956195719581959
19601960196119621963196419651966196719681969
19701970197119721973197419751976197719781979
19801980198119821983198419851986198719881989
19901990199119921993199419951996199719981999
20002000200120022003200420052006200720082009
Features
Creative Commons