Accessibility: Skip to content


Results

We found 107 matching items.
Media Types Images   Groups South Yarmouth Women's Institute fonds  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • Miss Edna Scott of Union
    Miss Edna Scott of Union
    image       One black and white photograph of Miss Edna Beattie Scott (1885-1965), a daughter of Thomas Hunter Scott and his wife Minnie of Union and St. Thomas.Miss Scott was the first history conveynor of the South Yarmouth Women's Institute. She was a sister of Murray Scott, of St. Thomas'Scott Studios, who ...
    image     One black and white photograph of Miss Edna Beattie Scott (1885-1965), a daughter of Thomas Hunter Scott and his wife Minnie of Union and St. Thomas.Miss Scott was the first ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Marvin Ketchum and Mary Ketchum at the Union Hotel
    Marvin Ketchum and Mary Ketchum at the Union Hotel
    image       One black and white photograph showing the Union Hotel, built in 1840 on the north-west corner of Union. The carpenter for the hotel was Major John Ellison and the masonry work was completed by George Philpott. The top floor of the hotel was one large room used as a ballroom ...
    image     One black and white photograph showing the Union Hotel, built in 1840 on the north-west corner of Union. The carpenter for the hotel was Major John Ellison and the masonry ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Mrs. Elizabeth Babcock
    Mrs. Elizabeth Babcock
    image       One black and white photograph of showing Mrs. Elizabeth Babcock (1807-1896). Mrs. Babcock operated a hotel on the north-west corner of Union and on the 1861 census was listed as a tavern keeper. According to the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One, the building was torn down and ...
    image     One black and white photograph of showing Mrs. Elizabeth Babcock (1807-1896). Mrs. Babcock operated a hotel on the north-west corner of Union and on the 1861 census was listed as ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Scott Family Residences at Union
    Scott Family Residences at Union
    image       Two black and white photographs showing two homes at Union. (21a) shows"Burnside"the house built by one of the Green brothers about 1867. The property was owned by members of Thomas Hunter Scott's family for many years, beginning in 1911. (21b) shows the house owned by Enos Scott in 1845 and ...
    image     Two black and white photographs showing two homes at Union. (21a) shows"Burnside"the house built by one of the Green brothers about 1867. The property was owned by members of Thomas ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Green Brother's Woollen Mill at Union
    Green Brother's Woollen Mill at Union
    image       One black and white photograph shows a group of men and women outside of the Green Brother's Woollen Mill in Union ca. 1865. Those identified are: Miss Green (daughter of Benjamin Green in the back row); Phoebe Jane VanHorn (b. 1851), Miss Philpott, Zara Moore (b. 1833) and Martha Moore ...
    image     One black and white photograph shows a group of men and women outside of the Green Brother's Woollen Mill in Union ca. 1865. Those identified are: Miss Green (daughter of ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Willson Mills at Union
    Willson Mills at Union
    image       One black and white photograph shows the two Willson Mills at Union. The grist mill on the right and the woollen mill is on the left. Both were rebuilt after the 1887 fire.John Wilkinson, the miller, operated the grist mill and lived in the small house at the foot of ...
    image     One black and white photograph shows the two Willson Mills at Union. The grist mill on the right and the woollen mill is on the left. Both were rebuilt after ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Union Distillery
    Union Distillery
    image       One black and white photograph shows the Union distillery. Sarah Ketchum, daughter of Mrs. Babcock and wife of Miles Ketchum, is in the foreground. The distillery was operated by Alexander Ketchum for a number of years and then was used for dyeing wool for the woollen mill. Included in the ...
    image     One black and white photograph shows the Union distillery. Sarah Ketchum, daughter of Mrs. Babcock and wife of Miles Ketchum, is in the foreground. The distillery was operated by Alexander ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • View of the Grist Mill in Willson's Hollow
    View of the Grist Mill in Willson's Hollow
    image       One black and white photograph shows the view of the second grist mill in Willson's Hollow. When this mill burnt down it was replaced with a cement structure by George Doolittle, who sold it to Joseph O. King. Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
    image     One black and white photograph shows the view of the second grist mill in Willson's Hollow. When this mill burnt down it was replaced with a cement structure by George ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • John Dadson's Home and Willson's Hollow at Union
    John Dadson's Home and Willson's Hollow at Union
    image       Two black and white photographs shows the two views of Willson's Hollow at Union. (27a) shows the home of John Dadson (on the hill), John"the miller"Wilkinson's house, Solomon V. Willson's boat house and the second grist mill. Mr. Edward Matheson is driving his pony and cart up the hill.(27b) shows ...
    image     Two black and white photographs shows the two views of Willson's Hollow at Union. (27a) shows the home of John Dadson (on the hill), John"the miller"Wilkinson's house, Solomon V. Willson's ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Willson's Mills at Union
    Willson's Mills at Union
    image       One photograph shows the Willson's Mills at a distance. According to the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One, at the time the photo was taken,"there was a road leading up to the home of Solomon V. Willson (later owned by Isaac Willson). Years later, Robert Bailey bought the ...
    image     One photograph shows the Willson's Mills at a distance. According to the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One, at the time the photo was taken,"there was a road ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Dam at Dadson's Pond near Union
    Dam at Dadson's Pond near Union
    image       One photograph shows the dam at Dadson's Pond near Union. The small boy fising is George Matheson with a friend. The property was later owned by Richard Sanders, a barrister and former mayor of St. Thomas.Dadson's sawmill was located back from the side road, running north from Plains Baptist Church.Included ...
    image     One photograph shows the dam at Dadson's Pond near Union. The small boy fising is George Matheson with a friend. The property was later owned by Richard Sanders, a barrister ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Union General Store and Sparta Stage Coach
    Union General Store and Sparta Stage Coach
    image       One black and white photograph shows the general store at Union ca. 1895. The Sparta stage coach that carried the mail and passangers from St. Thomas to Sparta, and locations in between, is hitched in front of the store. This building was the site of the first general store in ...
    image     One black and white photograph shows the general store at Union ca. 1895. The Sparta stage coach that carried the mail and passangers from St. Thomas to Sparta, and locations ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Major John Ellison, William Manderville and Nelson McColl
    Major John Ellison, William Manderville and Nelson McColl
    image       One black and white photograph shows Major John Ellison, William Manderville, Nelson McColl (seated) and an unidentified man.Major John Ellison (1815-1889) was born in Quebec and reportedly came to Union about 1837. He was the first postmaster at Union in 1851. He was a carpenter by trade and built the ...
    image     One black and white photograph shows Major John Ellison, William Manderville, Nelson McColl (seated) and an unidentified man.Major John Ellison (1815-1889) was born in Quebec and reportedly came to Union ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Sparta Stage Coach
    Sparta Stage Coach
    image       One black and white photograph shows the Sparta Stage Coach. It carried the mail and passangers daily between Sparta and St. Thomas. This photograph was taken at the south end of the former bridge over Union Pond. Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
    image     One black and white photograph shows the Sparta Stage Coach. It carried the mail and passangers daily between Sparta and St. Thomas. This photograph was taken at the south end ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • David Whyte, George Francis, H. E. Johnson, George Doolittle, George Colley and G. A. Hannon outside James Haight's Union store
    David Whyte, George Francis, H. E. Johnson, George Doolittle, George Colley and G. A. Hannon outside James Haight's Union store
    image       One black and white photograph shows a group of old friends in front of James Haight's store. From left to right: David Whyte, George Francis, H. E. Johnson, George Doolittle, George Colley and G. A. Hanon (small child in front of Mr. Hanon). Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute ...
    image     One black and white photograph shows a group of old friends in front of James Haight's store. From left to right: David Whyte, George Francis, H. E. Johnson, George Doolittle, ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • James Haight's General Store, Union
    James Haight's General Store, Union
    image       One black and white photograph shows the south side of James Haight's General Store. Mr. John Ellman is in the foreground.Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
    image     One black and white photograph shows the south side of James Haight's General Store. Mr. John Ellman is in the foreground.Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Looking South In Union
    Looking South In Union
    image       One black and white photograph looking south at Union. The image shows the footbridge to Hannon's harness shop from the general store, then small shop on the corner, the Haight's General Store and across the street, the blacksmith shop (Frank Westlake), with E. Chapman's Paint&Carriage Works behind. The small building ...
    image     One black and white photograph looking south at Union. The image shows the footbridge to Hannon's harness shop from the general store, then small shop on the corner, the Haight's ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • View of Union from School House Hill
    View of Union from School House Hill
    image       One black and white photograph shows a the view of Union taken from the school house hill. The Chapman house is on the extreme right and the Chapman Carriage and Paint Shop is directly across the street.Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
    image     One black and white photograph shows a the view of Union taken from the school house hill. The Chapman house is on the extreme right and the Chapman Carriage and ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Nelson Parker, John Parker and Frank McPhail at Frank McPhail's Blacksmith Shop in Union
    Nelson Parker, John Parker and Frank McPhail at Frank McPhail's Blacksmith Shop in Union
    image       One black and white photograph shows a group of men in front of Frank McPhail's blacksmith shop on the south east corner of Union. From left to right: unknown, Frank McPhail, Nelson Parker, unknown, unknown and John Parker.Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
    image     One black and white photograph shows a group of men in front of Frank McPhail's blacksmith shop on the south east corner of Union. From left to right: unknown, Frank ...
    Elgin County Archives
  • Union Pond
    Union Pond
    image       One black and white photograph shows Union mill pond and dam ca. 1880. The boat house was the property of Solomon V. Willson. The lady in the centre of the photograph is a daughter of James Davidson. Included in the South Yarmouth Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History, Volume One.
    image     One black and white photograph shows Union mill pond and dam ca. 1880. The boat house was the property of Solomon V. Willson. The lady in the centre of the ...
    Elgin County Archives
Web Tools
See Alternate Formats:
Dublin Core | RSS | Atom | Solr | Mods | RDF
Share
Search within these results
Contributors
Media Types
Location
  • Location unidentified (107)
Groups